Key points about this information item The Mall Garden, Maglio Gardens, Floriana, MaltaInformation Description:
The Mall Garden, Maglio Gardens, Floriana, Malta
The Garden was built in 1656 by Grand Master Lascaris and was used as a recreation area for the Knights, where they played a ball game called Pallo a Maglio. The gardens were originally private, for the knights, but in 1905, they were made public and the name changed to Maglio Gardens.
The garden is around four hundred metres long and dotted along its length are monuments to Maltese personalities , plus a number of fountains. Originally, the gardens were enclosed by a wall, but due to the severe damage suffered during World War Two, the wall was demolished. At the Valletta end stands the Independence Monument, commemorating the Islands independence from British rule.
Next to the gardens are The Granaries and St Publius Church.
Malta Holiday Home Services, property management in Malta